Friday, December 2, 2011

Refrigerator circulation fan keeps running?

I have a KitchenAid KSRS25ILSS01 side by side. The other day I noticed the refrigerator was warm (50F) and the freezer was cold (less than 0F). The electric defuser seemed to be stuck closed to I removed it but carefully put the temp sensors back (one through the freezer, one in the refrig). Now the refrigerator is 20F (which I expected would happen) and the freezer is still below 0Fbut the circulation fan seems to be running cotinuously. I don't think the compressor is because when I played with the temp settings I could hear something kicking on and off as if the compressor was kicking in.. 1) Is this normal; am I just being hyper sensitive right now because I was working on it? 2) Should I bother buying a $100 defuser from Sears or just live with a refrig that is slightly too cold (or even play with partially blocking the cut through to regulate it? I believe most units do this and mine is unusual to have an electronic control.|||Odds are the diffuser is bad. I have replaced, literally, at least a hundred of them. Their failure rate is a too high imo. The newer ones (last 10 years) are stronger than the older ones.





To help you with the logic with an electronic board control the diffuser and it's thermostat only turns on the fan. The other thermostat in the freezer turns the compressor on and off. The refrigerator takes the cool from the freezer to cool the refrigerator and if the freezer starts to warm only then does it kick on the compressor. What you described fits that scenario for a bad diffuser (fan running but not compressor).





It's possible you have a defrost problem and the air isn't circulating well but not as likely. And eventually the freezer would warm with that problem.





It could be you have blocked the return air for the refrigerator. That is not easy but some had a vent on the freezer side above the crisper that can be blocked with something like a plastic bag or loaf of bread and the refrig then is too warm.





You should be able to see if the diffuser is opening and closing if you pulled it and leave it connected by cycling the fresh food control up and down.





Leaving it out not only might freeze the items in the fresh food section but also it might melt items in the top of the freezer as warm air would be allowed to drift over to that side at the top if the diffuser is out of there. The ice will clump or could melt if there aren't enough door openings to cycle the fan often.





Good Luck.|||the diffuser could be the culprit, however e my advise is to completely defrost the fridge take all the food and store it at a friends unless you have a spare fridge, unplug the fridge open the doors and let it stand for 24 hours, this will ensure that there is no ice blocking the fins of a sensor plug it back in and see if it works, before you go buy another diffuser or fridge.|||OK, I also have a Kitchen aid that had the same problem. The door was stuck on mine, and I removed it as well. I also found out due to the lack of circulation that I had ice built up near the bottom of the vent behind the kick panel covering the coils in the freezer, and my fan ran 24-7. I took the cover off which had six screws, and had ice build up near the bottom. I took a hair dryer, and melted it after I shut the power down. I put it back together, and fired it up letting it run for a while. The freezer did fine, but it took almost a day for the fridge side to cool down due to it being warm but it cooled down in time. I turned down the setting for the fridge side, and the freezer as well but still had a good temp on the freezer side. I bought a fridge thermometer placing it on the shelve in the fridge, and have a temp around 30-35. Nothing has shown any signs of freezing so far on the fridge side, and the fridge shuts down not running like it did before. It has been almost a month, and it is working fine. Honestly I think Kitchen aid is more about looks then anything else. We bought a complete package matching with stainless steel. The fridge, Microwave, Dishwasher, stove, and had problems with all three of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment