Friday, December 2, 2011

1987 Jeep Wrangler stalls?

I have a 1987 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.2L with a carter carb. engine started stalling after I pressure washed the engine. I've owned the Jeep for 13 years and had this happen before. The random stalling problem just went away and I never figured it out. It's happening again but this time it seems to be worse and started happening after the pressure wash. Over the last few weeks, I've replaced the electronic ignition module, stator or inductor in the distributor, the computer control unit (with used one), the timing chain (needed it anyway) and the ignition coil. A year ago I installed a new distributor, carburetor, plug wires, plugs, fuel filter and fuel pump (mechanical).





It starts and runs well in the morning. In the afternoon damn! It just stalls randomly. At the same time, the rpm gauge goes to zero and if I'm riding down the road it will restart on its own (manual transmission BA 5/10 5 speed Peugot) in 3 seconds or so. The random stalls happen anytime and doesn't seem|||I had an 87 and an 88 for a years with the same motor/trans. I would do a bit of work checking out your vacuum system. If I remember correctly there is a rats nest of vacuum plumbing on that year Jeep. All those hoses get brittle and the force from a pressure washer could have broken one. I went through the same thing on both of them. Start by isolating things at the intake manifold and the mess of vacuum relays on the fire wall. I also had a broken vacuum advance diaphram on the distributor that got me once. Good luck.|||Hi have you cleaned or rebuilt the carb? Do you have electrical or vacuum problems?

No comments:

Post a Comment