Friday, December 2, 2011

Question about my hard drive: the head extends, makes noise and retracts, then never moves again.?

I have a 2.5 inch seagate that quit working while in my laptop. I have tried every remedy possible to no avail. Finally i pulled the cover off the HD and watched when i plugged it in.





The head extends to the center of the platter, then as it retracts (very quickly) it makes a screeching sound which doesn't sound physical, but like an electronic warble.... i guess maybe it could be produced physically at those speeds, but I am not sure. After retraction, the head never budges again.








Any ideas as to whether this is indicative of a physical problem, or whether a control unit or swapping platters would allow me to get into my info again?|||If you opened it already, the info is gone as a hard drive is vacuum sealed. But a hearing unusual noises from a hard drive is a sign of impending physical failure. You should have tried the freezer solution if you wanted to recover data. Once you opened the drive, you've already lost your data.|||I think opening the hard drive was the worst thing you could have done. Aside from that, I have no answer as to whether it is indicative of a physical problem. I would promptly replace the cover and try running a recovery software that doesn't try to repair sectors. Someone might say run SpinRite, but that attempts to correct sectors. If the actuating arm IS in fact damaged, that won't help any. There is a software for Mac's that read raw data and might be able to hlep you. Otherwise it will be up to professionals and the cost for recovering your data can easily run up from $600. Best of luck to you.|||If you look you'll probably also see that the disk doesn't spin...





Maxtor drives make a noise like you describe (or, as one of my customers said, like a f*cked up ringtone!) when the platters are stationary.





Anyway, the drive (as it has been opened) should be treat as scrap now as it will have dust in. If you can get it working then good luck, get the data of it as it will die very soon :(





HTH

No comments:

Post a Comment